Colouring Engraving

Moderators: HPC, Daven

ncamacho2000

Colouring Engraving

Post by ncamacho2000 »

Hi (6040)

Anyone got any advice on colouring/painting just engraved areas? I'm trying to engrave an image on glass (maybe perspex) and then somehow colour the engraved sections only. The image is quite fine and detailed so not sure if engraving through a laminate or surface first would work.

I was considering using something like a buff coloured wax that would stick to the engraving only and wipe off the glass. Anyone tried anything that works well?

Thanks - All advice welcome

Nigel
Daven

Re: Colouring Engraving

Post by Daven »

Hi Nigel,
There is a US product but I have not tried it or know of anyone who has yet. Acrylic paint can be used on acrylic but I doubt it would work on glass - what about glass paint?

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
ncamacho2000

Post by ncamacho2000 »

Thanks Dave for the quick reply

Its a difficult one as i want something that wont stick to the ungraved (if that's a word) sections of glass but permanent to the engraved sections. I think Acrylic paint may work if i act quick to wipe on and wipe off. I will have a look at the US baked paint in your link.

Is there any descent film or liquid laminate that is really thin and easy to remove, wipe off after being lasered and sprayed?

Thanks again

Nigel
Daven

Post by Daven »

HPC do a liquid - have a look on the main shop site ;)

Best
Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
ncamacho2000

Post by ncamacho2000 »

cheers dave will do
ncamacho2000

Post by ncamacho2000 »

Hi Dave

Just had a quick look and they do the lasermask, have you tried it?? Can you wipe it off after?

Cheers Nige
Daven

Post by Daven »

I haven't but I seem to remember a post here from some one who has ;)

Will see if I can find it....
Daven

Post by Daven »

I haven't but I seem to remember a post here from some one who has ;)

Will see if I can find it....

http://www.laserscript.co.uk/phpBB3/vie ... =lasermask ;)
ncamacho2000

Post by ncamacho2000 »

right that sounds like just the job, ill buy some and see what happens

Cheers Dave - thanks for looking into it for me, really appreciate it.
Signchap

Post by Signchap »

The 'standard' way to fill engraving is to put a line of paint on the panel then squeegee it down across the engraving so it is pushed into the engraving. I use a rubber tiler's squeegee for this (like you use to put grout onto tiles). Then let it dry and remove any excess on the surface by wrapping a cloth around a circle of material, say a bit of acrylic. Wet this with the appropriate solvent then buff the surface with it. Of course you need to be careful if the engraving is not very deep as the cloth may lift some of the paint out of the engraved area. And be careful if filling acrylic this way. It can scratch, so use a very soft cloth and make sure no dust is on the surface. Alternatively, cover the material with signmaker's application tape (basically large sized low tack masking tape) prior to engraving, then spray paint once engraved. The tape acts as a mask. Then just peel the tape off once dry. I use both of these methods every day.