Cutting shapes

Moderators: HPC, Daven

MasonsAttic

Cutting shapes

Post by MasonsAttic »

Hi, please can you help a technophobe! I am a newbie and use my laser machine to engrave photos which I am really pleased with, I want to move onto cutting shapes, e.g. a star shape or Christmas tree but as I use photoshop, then photograv then laser cut I am struggling to do this. Can anyone please suggest what software I now need to do this or is it possible just with using my LaserCut software? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Annie
Tom

Re: Cutting shapes

Post by Tom »

Hi Annie
need something like coreldraw or autocad ,draftsight is a free one

Tom
MasonsAttic

Post by MasonsAttic »

Thanks Tom. Appreciate the feedback
Daven

Post by Daven »

It can be done in Lasercut but is tedious - as Tom says you need a program that produces dxf vector files. Once you have the outline shape you can then import the vector and the raster and set them to their own layer it Lasercut.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Chris

Post by Chris »

as you have photoshop, do you also have illustrator? they sometimes comes as a package..
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Avoid illustrator like the plague, it's compression method often causes more problems than it solves :(

cheers

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
MasonsAttic

Post by MasonsAttic »

I don't have illustrator, will look into the software that Tom mentioned. Just wish I could put all my ideas to work, increasingly frustrating as I know what I want to produce, but have no idea how to do them all! Thanks for your comments, really appreciated.
Annie
MasonsAttic

Post by MasonsAttic »

Sorry, I have another question relating to this, does any one know what type of files are accepted by Lasercut 5.3?

Thank you
Annie
Daven

Post by Daven »

Hi Annie - go to file, import and pull down 'Types of file' you should see the list ;)
Best
Dave
Attachments
2014-10-15_080554.jpg
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
PhillyDee

Post by PhillyDee »

Need to point out the fact that most of those are only fir engraving :)
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

An ex LS3020 user now playing with an LS6840PRO (60W) and an LS1290PRO (80W)